Theme 1 – Montane Cordillera
- Greenacre D, Silins U, Dyck M. 2019. Effects of alternative forest harvesting practices on snow and soil water dynamics. B.C. Southern Interior Silviculture Comm., 2019 SISCO Winter Workshop, Kelowna, BC, January 21-23.
- Silins U, Herlein K, Williams CHS, Cherlet E, Stone M, Collins AL, Emelko MB, Wagner MJ, Hawthorn K. 2018. Impact of contemporary forest harvesting strategies on sediment production in Alberta’s Rocky Mountains: New insights on an old story? Abst. H13J-1884, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, Washington, DC, December 10-14.
- Cherlet E, Williams CHS, Herlein K, Hawthorn K, Silins U. 2018. Evaluating accuracy of simple winter precipitation overspill systems with tipping bucket gauges for winter precipitation monitoring in remote mountain weather station networks. Abst. H13P-1980, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, Washington, DC, December 10-14.
- Greenacre D, Silins U, Dyck M. 2018. Spatial and temporal patterns of snowpack accumulation and melt after strip-shelterwood harvesting in the Southern Alberta Rockies. Abst. C42B-08, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, Washington, DC, December 10-14.
- Bahramian S, Emelko MB, Silins U, Stone M, Shams S, Williams CHS. 2018. Assessment of contemporary forest harvesting impacts on NOM and disinfection by-product formation potential. AWWA Water Quality Technology Conference, Toronto, ON, November 11-15.
- Silins U, Emelko MB, Stone M, Anderson A, Dyck M, Mueller K, Quideau S, 10 others. 2018. Southern Rockies Watershed Project: Forested source water protection in Alberta’s eastern slopes. Red Deer River Municipal Users Group, Drumheller, AB, September 20.
- Karpyshin S, Silins U, Dyck M. 2018. Transpiration response of residual Lodgepole pine after strip and partial-cut harvesting in Alberta’s southern Rocky Mountains. Canadian Institute of Forestry, 110th CIF AGM & Conference, Grande Prairie, AB, September 18-20.
- Silins U, Emelko MB, Stone M, Adamowicz W, Anderson A, Dupont D, Williams CHS, Herlein K, Krishnappan BG, Collins AL, 4 others. 2018. Southern Rockies Watershed Project: Informing source water protection strategies in Alberta. Alberta Agriculture & Forestry, and Alberta Environment and Parks water and land management staff, July 26 (webinar).
- Southern Rockies Watershed Project: Sediment from harvesting and road-stream crossings in front-range eastern slopes watersheds. Canfor and the Forest Resource Improvement Association of Alberta, June 25, 2018, 18 p. (project report).
- Hokanson KJ, Mendoza CA, Devito KJ. 2019. Interactions between regional climate, surficial geology, and topography: Characterizing shallow groundwater systems in subhumid, low-relief landscapes. Water Resources Research, 55(1): 284-297. DOI: 10.1029/2018WR023934.
- Hokanson KJ et al. 2019. Peatland-forestland water table dynamics during a mesic year. CGU Montreal, July.
- Hokanson KJ, Mendoza CA, Devito KJ. 2019. Peatland hydrologic sovereignty in a water-limited world: Subverting an ecohydrologic paradigm. University of Alberta Institute of Geophysical Research Spring Symposium, April 2, Edmonton, AB.
- Pugh EA, Devito KJ, Olefeldt D. 2019. Spatial & inter-annual variability of DOM characteristics in Boreal Plain lakes. Northern Research Days, March 15, Edmonton, AB (poster).
- Pugh EA, Devito KJ, Olefeldt D. 2019. Spatial & interannual variability of DOM characteristics in Boreal Plain lakes. Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO) 2019 Aquatic Sciences Meeting, February 22, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Hokanson KJ, Devito KJ, Mendoza CA. 2018. Shallow groundwater systems in sub-humid, low-relief Boreal Plain landscapes: Interactions between glacial landforms, climate, and topography. Proceedings, GeoEdmonton, 71st Canadian Geotechnical & 13th Joint CGS/IAH-CNC Groundwater Conference, Edmonton, AB, September, Paper 511, 8p.
- Pugh EA et al. 2018. Landscape characteristics influencing spatio-temporal variability of water quality in Boreal Plains shallow lakes. GeoEdmonton, 71st Canadian Geotechnical & 13th Joint CGS/IAH-CNC Groundwater Conference, Edmonton, AB, September.
- Fath KJ, Anderson A. 2019. New tools to examine sedimentation pressure in foothills watersheds. 2019 Canadian Water Resources Association (CWRA) Alberta Branch Conference, October.
- Shaheen M, Scott C, Ashbolt NJ. 2019. Long-term persistence of infectious Legionella with free-living amoebae in drinking water biofilms. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 222(4):678-686. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2019.04.007.
- Emelko MB. 2019. Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Lecture: More important than ever: Drinking water treatability and resilience assessment for climate change adaptation. AWWA's Annual Conference & Exposition (ACE), Denver, CO, June 10 (keynote).
- Emelko MB. 2019. Modeling critical infrastructure interdependencies. CWWA Window on Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, June 3.
- Silins U, Emelko MB, Stone M, Adamowicz V, Anderson A, Collins AL, Dupont D, Dyck M, Eykelbosh A, Krishnappan BB. 2019. The future of water supply and watershed management in Alberta: Best source-to-tap practices for source water protection in the eastern slopes. Alberta Innovates Water Innovation Program Forum, Edmonton, AB, May 22-23.
- Emelko MB, Silins U, Stone M. 2019. Water quality and treatability in a changing climate. B.C. Climate Action Secretariat, April 18 (webinar).
- Emelko MB, Silins U, Stone M. 2019. Ensuring safe, secure drinking water when extreme events are the new normal: Strategies learned from research and practice. Alberta Water & Wastewater Operators Association Annual Conference, Banff, AB, March 15.
- Silins U, Emelko MB, Stone M, Williams CHS, Wagner MJ, Martens AM, Hawthorn K, Spencer SA, Adamowicz W, Anderson A, Collins AL, Dyck M, Krishnappan BG, Müller KM, Quideau S. 2019. Watershed resistance and resilience to extreme events: Insights from wildfire and flooding in Alberta. 56th Annual Alberta Soil Science Workshop, Calgary, AB, February 19-21 (invited plenary).
- Bahramian S, Emelko MB, Silins U, Stone M, Shams S, Williams CHS. 2018. Preliminary assessment of contemporary forest harvesting impacts on NOM and disinfection by-product formation potential. AWWA Water Quality and Technology Conference, Toronto, ON, November 13, TUE13.
- Emelko MB. 2018. forWater: NSERC Network for Forested Drinking Water Source Protection Technologies. TU Vienna, Austria, June 21 (invited talk).
- Emelko MB, Stone M, Silins U. 2018. Wildfire threats to water security: Source-to-tap case studies from Western Canada. College of Science Seminar Series, Swansea University, Swansea, UK, May 8 (distinguished lecturer seminar).
- Ovando P, Brouwer R. 2019. A review of economic approaches modeling the complex interactions between forest management and watershed services. Journal of Forest Policy and Economics, 100:164-176. DOI: 10.1016/j.forpol.2018.12.007. [LINK]
- Pan Z, Brouwer R. 2019. A theoretical modeling framework to support investment decisions in green and grey infrastructure under risk and uncertainty. European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists Annual Conference, Manchester, UK, June.
- Robinne F.-N., Bladon K.D., Silins U., Emelko M.B., Flannigan M.D., Parisien M.-A., Wang X., Kienzle S.W., and D.P. Dupont. (2019). "A Regional-Scale Index for Assessing the Exposure of Drinking-Water Sources to Wildfires," Forests, 10(5): 384-405. [ARTICLE LINK]
- Nunes J.P., Doerr S.H., Sheridam G., Neris J., Santín C., Emelko M.B., Silins U., Robichaud P.R., Elliot W.J., and J. Keizer. (2018). "Assessing water contamination risk from vegetation fires: challenges, opportunities and a framework for progress," Hydrological Processes, 32(5): 687-694. [ARTICLE LINK]